Thursday, January 2, 2014

Who Will Be the First-Foot in Your Home?

Dear Diary:

Yesterday was the first day of 2014 and I hope everyone had a wonderful New Year's Day.  For me, it certainly was but I still celebrate a ritual from my Scottish Grandmother.

The first person to enter the home on New Year's Day was someone that would bring good luck for the rest of the year.  This person was known as the first-foot.  The first-footer had to be male, and must be tall and dark haired.  A fair man was considered to be unlucky. 

My Father fit the ideal first-foot.  He was not really tall but tall enough to suit my Grandma.  He was dark haired though and that seemed to be the important part.  When we went to my Grandma's on New Year's Day, there would often be several people waiting in the porch for my family to arrive.  Well, actually waiting for my Dad so they could get into the house.  My Dad would have to enter the door first, carrying a bottle of scotch as a gift, followed by my Mother and I since women were not considered appropriate first-footers either.  So in keeping with tradition in my second world, I texted my friend Sam, who is just the right person, to come over and be the first-foot in 2014 to enter my home here.


It was very early in the morning but I was happy that a tall, dark haired man was bringing me luck for the coming year.  Running out to buy a lottery ticket!

Good Night for now.

Sam is wearing:
Jacket: switch Achtung Lumberjack coat (brown)
Hat: Bad Unicorn Orange Brooklyn Beanie

I'm wearing:
Dress: Coco Design shirred tube dress (blackberry) (old gift)
Hair: Wasabi Pills Clementine
Headband: teas Happy 2014 (gift)
Earrings: NHA Mirella